What does Self Esteem look like?
1. Acceptance – Knowing that your weaknesses exist because you are normal and not because you are a loser.
2. Belonging – Knowing that you are capable of contributing to a community (your friendship with one other person, your family, your class, your neighbourhood, etc.)
3. Perseverance – Knowing that sadness and suffering happen to everyone and that you have the tools/love/patience/resilience to live through not getting everything you want.
4. Kindness – Having the ability to show compassion for others (and yourself) because you’ve been there.
5. Caring – Not worrying so much about yourself so that you can pay attention to and be connected to the world around you.
Can our kids get these things all at once? NOPE!
Can we just give it to them so that they don’t get hurt learning it? Darn it – NOPE!
If they are lucky, they get the chance to learn these steps by living Real Life and experiencing all of the good and bad stuff that it has to offer.
They get to learn them as they are raised by honest parents who teach that everyone has strengths and weaknesses, that they can’t have everything they want, that no means no.
We’re talking Self Esteem all week long – register here to get all the details!