How are you spending your time?
This month, we are talking about time. It is not uncommon to hear, “Where did the time go?” or “Time is moving so quickly!”
Perhaps we are losing track of how our time is used.
Oprah Winfrey recently said,”Time is our most precious jewel. When you consciously choose to use each moment to its fullest, your treasure chest overflows. Give yourself the gift of time in all areas of your life.”
Today’s tough question is,
How are you using your time?
In creating the Healthy Mind Platter, David Rock and Dr. Daniel Siegel explored how we can use our time to support our inner growth. They listed seven daily essential mental activities to optimize brain matter and create well-being.
1. Sleep time – Getting a full night’s restful sleep
2. Physical time – Taking time to move and let your body be active
3. Focus time – Being alone for a while to concentrate on what matters to you
4. Time in – Taking time for meditation, prayer, or self-reflection
5. Time out – Setting aside time to simply to be here and rest into existence
6. Play time – Time to have fun and enjoy yourself
7. Connecting time – Intimate private time between you and those you love and care for
As the days begin to get longer, it is easy to keep kids up later and later. Spring break contributes to that too. It’s important to remember the value of getting the right amount of sleep.
During her Banff Transformational Weekend, earlier this year, Erin Skye Kelly – talked about the value of setting an alarm clock – not to wake her in the morning, but to remind her to go to bed at night.
This seems like a wonderful tool to prevent being sucked into one more episode on Netflicks or one more Facebook post.
When it comes right down to it, how we use time is such a valuable consideration. It really is all we have.
This week: Gain an awareness of how much sleep the members of your family require for healthy brain and body function. Make a plan to bring your family closer to your target so that you are consciously using your time and gaining the sleep you need.